Skip to main content

John and Vivienne

There is a willow tree in the March story card.

John and Vivienne

Chapter One

The teacher asked John to show his classmates the model boat he had made.

Over the weekend, with the help of his father, John built the tiny ship out of small pieces of wood and glued them together.

He climbed up onto the school’s stage. The other kids sat on the floor. They were his audience. The teacher was smiling.

John took a deep breath. He was feeling a little sweaty. He was nervous. John began by saying, “I love ships and boats of every kind. How do they float? Someday when I am grown up, I hope to sail my own ship.”

He held up the model for everyone to see and moved quickly to get off the stage. Just then, a little boy raised his hand saying, “But exactly how did you do it?”

John wasn’t sure what to say. Did this kid want to know everything about making it?

Everyone was looking at him. It was very quiet. John scanned the children sitting on the floor. Then he spied his friend Vivienne just as she was standing up.



John and Vivienne 
Chapter Two

Vivienne was his best friend. She glided onto the stage and whispered to John. “Take some time to think about what you want to say.” The teacher looked shocked. The children were surprised.

The backdrop of the stage was painted with a beautiful garden scene. A willow tree allowed its long, flexible branches with narrow leaves to touch the ground.

Vivienne began speaking. She was kind of loud. “‘Who has seen the wind?’ By Christina Rossetti,” Vivienne said.

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you.
But when the leaves hang trembling,
The wind is passing through.
Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I.
But when the trees bow down their heads,
The wind is passing by.

John was now ready. His friend had given him exactly what he needed, a little extra time to think. And John told the class how he made his little wooden ship.

Christine was proud of her friend. She said, “That’s teamwork!”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy cow, it’s costmary!

Recently while helping my sister, Kit, move to a new house, we found an inte res ting old bible belonging to “V. H. Reinhart” in the bottom of a moldy old box. I’d never seen a bible like it. The left-hand column is written in German and the right, in English. Victor H. Reinhart, born in 1885, was the father of my step father, Wilbur Reinhart, and I knew from oral family history that he was a Mennonite minister. Inside the bible we found a single, brittle, pale green leaf and immediately recognized it. I said, “Holy cow, it’s costmary!” (Tanacetum balsamita also Chrysanthemum balsamita)  Because I’m passionate about both genealogy and herb gardening, this discovery was a bit like taking a beautiful old painting to the Antiques Roadshow and finding a signed copy of the Declaration of Independence behind it. Costmary’s (now obsolete) common name is “bible leaf,” having been used as an aromatic bookmark since the time when a bible was likely the only book in the house. The volatile

Genealogy: it’s about connection

Each one of us has two parents, four grandparents, and eight great-grandparents. For every generation you go back, the number of people who procreated, to eventually make you, doubles. When I first started out on my genealogy journey, these numbers astounded me, and still do. I love to think about my DNA stew. It feeds my soul. Playing with numbers Let’s assume each generation makes a baby at age thirty. Perhaps the age should be 16, 18, 20, or 25, but whatever, I picked 30 for this exercise. After all, in the past, people started having children earlier than today, but they also bore many more children and did so over a period of 10, or even 20, years. Stick with me for this simplified and fictional example: For a child born in 1960, there were two parents who were born about 1930. The baby’s four grandparents were born about 1900. The baby’s eight great-grandparents were born in 1870. (You see, I'm doubling the number of grandparents and going back 30 years at the same time.

On Beauty

About 10 years ago during our routine Saturday phone call, my father asked me an amazing question, “Why does seeing something beautiful make a person cry?”  I was honored that he asked me such a powerful question and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. In my lifetime, I've seen some beautiful things that have made me cry. When I was 17-years-old and an exchange student in Spain , I walked down a dark corridor inside a church, turned a corner, and saw a huge painting (10 by 16 feet), El Greco’s “The Burial of the Count of Orgaz.” That was 1972, but I vividly remember the colors in it: the metallic gold, the reds, and the grays and how the elongated faces and figu res dripped emotion. I remember the awe I felt in seeing that the artist had painted a sheer white gown over a black velvet robe (lower right). I stood quite close to it for as long as the guide would allow. For many, the natural world evokes wonderment. About 25 years ago, on a trip to rural Canada , I saw t