Skip to main content

DREAM ANALYSIS -- 5 cents

People often tell me their dreams. No, not their personal goals, I mean they ask me to interpret their nighttime dreams.

I do like to think about symbols and their meanings. And like Lucy van Pelt in the Peanuts comic strip, I provide inexpensive insight.

My husband is going through a phase where he talks and moves around a lot during sleep. It’s very hard to rest with a melodramatic opera or Greek tragedy being played out in bed, right next to you.

The other night, during the second act, he jumped and screamed.
I said, “Are you all right?”
He said “Snakes.”

Snakes are classic symbols appearing in the mythology of cultures around the world. Often thought of as a symbol of evil (Adam and Eve), they can also represent transfiguration (shedding skin) and healing (rod of asclepius).

A few years ago, I made herbal dream pillows to sell, based on a book Dream Pillows and Love Potions by Jim Long, herbal superstar and author.

Dream pillow recipes change depending on the type of dream you want to evoke: romantic, prophetic, restorative, etc. Many herbs are well-known for their special powers and the herbal mix can turn up or down the volume.
§              Lavender is restful.
§              Mugwort helps you remember your dreams.
§              Rosehips and rose petals are healing.
When I used one of the little pillows myself, I documented dozens of interesting dreams. Typically, one can recall dreams only during the first few seconds upon awakening, so I jotted them down in a bedside journal, and then later, created a little watercolor picture to represent each one.

After several weeks, I noticed that my dreams fall into themes. Here are a few in the "animal" category:
A bird morphs into a fish and back again

An embarrassed tiger hides in the closet with exposed puddle

A parakeet wears a big brass buckle

Bluebird of happiness with human skull 
Do you have recurring or vivid dreams? What do they mean?
Here's a free online dream dictionary where you can look 'em up!

Comments

Anonymous said…
OK, here is my comment. Do you get it?

Karen

Popular posts from this blog

Holy cow, it’s costmary!

Recently while helping my sister, Kit, move to a new house, we found an inte res ting old bible belonging to “V. H. Reinhart” in the bottom of a moldy old box. I’d never seen a bible like it. The left-hand column is written in German and the right, in English. Victor H. Reinhart, born in 1885, was the father of my step father, Wilbur Reinhart, and I knew from oral family history that he was a Mennonite minister. Inside the bible we found a single, brittle, pale green leaf and immediately recognized it. I said, “Holy cow, it’s costmary!” (Tanacetum balsamita also Chrysanthemum balsamita)  Because I’m passionate about both genealogy and herb gardening, this discovery was a bit like taking a beautiful old painting to the Antiques Roadshow and finding a signed copy of the Declaration of Independence behind it. Costmary’s (now obsolete) common name is “bible leaf,” having been used as an aromatic bookmark since the time when a bible was likely the only book in the house. The volatile

Genealogy: it’s about connection

Each one of us has two parents, four grandparents, and eight great-grandparents. For every generation you go back, the number of people who procreated, to eventually make you, doubles. When I first started out on my genealogy journey, these numbers astounded me, and still do. I love to think about my DNA stew. It feeds my soul. Playing with numbers Let’s assume each generation makes a baby at age thirty. Perhaps the age should be 16, 18, 20, or 25, but whatever, I picked 30 for this exercise. After all, in the past, people started having children earlier than today, but they also bore many more children and did so over a period of 10, or even 20, years. Stick with me for this simplified and fictional example: For a child born in 1960, there were two parents who were born about 1930. The baby’s four grandparents were born about 1900. The baby’s eight great-grandparents were born in 1870. (You see, I'm doubling the number of grandparents and going back 30 years at the same time.

On Beauty

About 10 years ago during our routine Saturday phone call, my father asked me an amazing question, “Why does seeing something beautiful make a person cry?”  I was honored that he asked me such a powerful question and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. In my lifetime, I've seen some beautiful things that have made me cry. When I was 17-years-old and an exchange student in Spain , I walked down a dark corridor inside a church, turned a corner, and saw a huge painting (10 by 16 feet), El Greco’s “The Burial of the Count of Orgaz.” That was 1972, but I vividly remember the colors in it: the metallic gold, the reds, and the grays and how the elongated faces and figu res dripped emotion. I remember the awe I felt in seeing that the artist had painted a sheer white gown over a black velvet robe (lower right). I stood quite close to it for as long as the guide would allow. For many, the natural world evokes wonderment. About 25 years ago, on a trip to rural Canada , I saw t