Skip to main content

Rebecca Jane and Willie Smith

 


Rebecca Jane and Willie Smith

Chapter One

Brother and sister Willie and Rebecca Jane Smith carefully walked down the rocky path to the bottom of the ravine.

To catch his breath, Willie sat down in the tattered old wicker chair under a Vitex tree. It was a cool, shady spot where a wide, deep, pond formed at the base of a small waterfall.

Rebecca Jane said, “Whew! I love to take a walk but that was a longer hike than I expected.

They paused for a few minutes listening to the sound of rushing water and feeling the mist on their faces. They rested there.

Willie tilted his head to one side. He said, “I’m not sure but I think I hear the sound of a banjo playing in the distance.”

Rebecca said, “That’s funny, brother. I was just thinking that I smell food cooking. Get up! Let’s investigate!”

They hiked down the mountainside to a dirt road. No cars were driving by but they stayed along the edge and safely walked single-file. Rebecca was in the lead.


Chapter Two

As they walked along, more people joined them, heading in the same direction. They saw a sign and stopped to read it.

The sign said -- TODAY ONLY! Blue Grass Music Festival.

Willie said, “We are so lucky to find this special place. I didn’t know that grass could be blue.”

“Like jazz music and rock music, blue grass is a type of music,” said Rebecca Jane.

A man dressed up in a nice suit, with a flower pinned on it, was sitting on a wooden stool next to his banjo. It looked like a small, round, guitar with silver metal screws.

Just as the music began, the brother and sister found a spot in the shade to sit on the ground. They were happy and couldn’t stop smiling.

Willie noticed that his foot was tapping to the rhythm. People began to dance and Rebecca joined them. She said, “I know your favorite color is green but blue grass is my favorite kind of music.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holy cow, it’s costmary!

Recently while helping my sister, Kit, move to a new house, we found an inte res ting old bible belonging to “V. H. Reinhart” in the bottom of a moldy old box. I’d never seen a bible like it. The left-hand column is written in German and the right, in English. Victor H. Reinhart, born in 1885, was the father of my step father, Wilbur Reinhart, and I knew from oral family history that he was a Mennonite minister. Inside the bible we found a single, brittle, pale green leaf and immediately recognized it. I said, “Holy cow, it’s costmary!” (Tanacetum balsamita also Chrysanthemum balsamita)  Because I’m passionate about both genealogy and herb gardening, this discovery was a bit like taking a beautiful old painting to the Antiques Roadshow and finding a signed copy of the Declaration of Independence behind it. Costmary’s (now obsolete) common name is “bible leaf,” having been used as an aromatic bookmark since the time when a bible was likely the only book in the house. The volatile

Genealogy: it’s about connection

Each one of us has two parents, four grandparents, and eight great-grandparents. For every generation you go back, the number of people who procreated, to eventually make you, doubles. When I first started out on my genealogy journey, these numbers astounded me, and still do. I love to think about my DNA stew. It feeds my soul. Playing with numbers Let’s assume each generation makes a baby at age thirty. Perhaps the age should be 16, 18, 20, or 25, but whatever, I picked 30 for this exercise. After all, in the past, people started having children earlier than today, but they also bore many more children and did so over a period of 10, or even 20, years. Stick with me for this simplified and fictional example: For a child born in 1960, there were two parents who were born about 1930. The baby’s four grandparents were born about 1900. The baby’s eight great-grandparents were born in 1870. (You see, I'm doubling the number of grandparents and going back 30 years at the same time.

On Beauty

About 10 years ago during our routine Saturday phone call, my father asked me an amazing question, “Why does seeing something beautiful make a person cry?”  I was honored that he asked me such a powerful question and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. In my lifetime, I've seen some beautiful things that have made me cry. When I was 17-years-old and an exchange student in Spain , I walked down a dark corridor inside a church, turned a corner, and saw a huge painting (10 by 16 feet), El Greco’s “The Burial of the Count of Orgaz.” That was 1972, but I vividly remember the colors in it: the metallic gold, the reds, and the grays and how the elongated faces and figu res dripped emotion. I remember the awe I felt in seeing that the artist had painted a sheer white gown over a black velvet robe (lower right). I stood quite close to it for as long as the guide would allow. For many, the natural world evokes wonderment. About 25 years ago, on a trip to rural Canada , I saw t