Skip to main content

Holy cow, it’s costmary!

Recently while helping my sister, Kit, move to a new house, we found an interesting old bible belonging to “V. H. Reinhart” in the bottom of a moldy old box. I’d never seen a bible like it. The left-hand column is written in German and the right, in English.


Victor H. Reinhart, born in 1885, was the father of my step father, Wilbur Reinhart, and I knew from oral family history that he was a Mennonite minister.

Inside the bible we found a single, brittle, pale green leaf and immediately recognized it. I said, “Holy cow, it’s costmary!” (Tanacetum balsamita also Chrysanthemum balsamita) 

Because I’m passionate about both genealogy and herb gardening, this discovery was a bit like taking a beautiful old painting to the Antiques Roadshow and finding a signed copy of the Declaration of Independence behind it.


Costmary’s (now obsolete) common name is “bible leaf,” having been used as an aromatic bookmark since the time when a bible was likely the only book in the house. The volatile oils in costmary were known to keep bugs away and smelling the minty, wintergreen scent helps one stay awake during long sermons.

No longer used medicinally, costmary was once a common treatment for liver and gall bladder problems. Add the fresh, young, somewhat bitter, spring leaves to salad. Or all summer long, dry leaves for tea, potpourri, and sleep pillows. Leaves are also used in brewing beer and ale; an alternate name for costmary is alecost.


I’ve grown costmary in the bed of calmative herbs in my “spa garden” for several years. I originally bought the plant online through Richters Herbs, a Canadian company.

Here in Pennsylvania, costmary grows to be about three feet tall. In late summer, it blooms the most pathetic flowers imaginable. But costmary is phenomenal in a Barbra Streisand kind of way, that is, talented and super interesting, if not classically beautiful.

Sources:
Brown, Deni. New encyclopedia of herbs and their use, 1st American ed, 2001

Comments

Katie VanVliet said…
Hi Holly! I just subscribed to your blog on my Google Reader. Keep me coming! xoxox
Holly Cusumano said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Therese said…
Holly, so cool! I have our family's old German bible, all German, though. Amazing that you found the leaf and knew what it was! I learned something neat today. Love it!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the posting. It brings back a memory of being in your garden.

Question: if it is not used medicinally anymore, how much is safe to eat? I am assuming that the flavor is bitterish like dandelion.Some interesting salads could be made with it.
Gabi
Jane Manby said…
hi there I hope you don't mind I linked to your blog
Jane
Anonymous said…
I'll right away take hold of your rss as I can't find your email
subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you've any? Please allow me know in order that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Also visit my blog; psn code Generator
Anonymous said…
My friend gave me one of these plants. I am looking forward to owning it and watching it flourish.

Popular posts from this blog

Adrian and Russell -- Story Cards

This is the first post of a series of Story Cards that I will be creating for our three-year-old twin grandchildren. The stories will be written in two chapters and mailed a few weeks apart. I know that children enjoy stories featuring their own names, but I have decided to use given names selected from the family tree that I created for the twins when they were born. The stories will be "flash fiction," a storytelling genre in which the characters, storyline, and setting are captured in just a few words. They are very short stories. Given the economy of words, the stories will likely all begin in "medias res," that is, in the middle of the action. Each card will contain little inserts to be held while the stories are read to them and will feature a tree.  So, here is the January Story Card. Adrian and Russell Chapter One With the glow of the moon, the two boys saw the spiky seed pods strewn across the sidewalk. So many were on the ground! So many were still on

Genealogy: it’s about connection

Each one of us has two parents, four grandparents, and eight great-grandparents. For every generation you go back, the number of people who procreated, to eventually make you, doubles. When I first started out on my genealogy journey, these numbers astounded me, and still do. I love to think about my DNA stew. It feeds my soul. Playing with numbers Let’s assume each generation makes a baby at age thirty. Perhaps the age should be 16, 18, 20, or 25, but whatever, I picked 30 for this exercise. After all, in the past, people started having children earlier than today, but they also bore many more children and did so over a period of 10, or even 20, years. Stick with me for this simplified and fictional example: For a child born in 1960, there were two parents who were born about 1930. The baby’s four grandparents were born about 1900. The baby’s eight great-grandparents were born in 1870. (You see, I'm doubling the number of grandparents and going back 30 years at the same time.